Thursday, March 18, 2010

An introduction...

Hello,

Just a few words to introduce myself and to outline my reasons in deciding to start a blog...

My name is Tim Jennings and I have been married to my wife, for nearly 32 years, and have five children with her - my youngest having just turned 20. I am also a proud 'pop' to four grandchildren with a fifth one on the way. I am passionate about my sport, especially Cricket and AFL (Aussie Rules) and am a diehard Collingwood Football Club supporter (please don’t hold that against me!)

I spent nearly 12 years in the Northern Territory Police Force in the 1970's and 80's with much time spent on remote Aboriginal communities, and also the Criminal Investigation Branch.

I now am the owner and CEO of Mbantua Gallery and Cultural Museum in Alice Springs, Australia, which is an Australian Aboriginal art gallery that I built from scratch - with lots of help from family and others. The Gallery was officially opened on 1st June 1992 which began as an offshoot to Mbantua Store (a general store I purchased in July 1987 that for some 40 or 50 years housed an aboriginal art section). I am very proud to say that Mbantua Gallery is now arguably the largest privately owned Australian Aboriginal art gallery in the world. It consists of a beautiful gallery built over 1600sqm of floor space, a Cultural Museum of approximate 400sqm, a Field and Research Department with staff dedicated to learning about the arts and culture of the Central Australian Aboriginal people, a large Corporate and Investment Painting gallery and much more. We have also set up the 'Mbantua Foundation' where we plan to raise funds to assist in the development of better health and sport activities for the people of the Utopia region, including to eventually provide them with a 25m swimming pool. In essence, this has all really become a passion!

So now, with the influence and encouragement of many, I've decided that I would like to share with others some of the knowledge and experiences that I've come to acquire over my some 56 years of life and included here will be, from time to time, various present day experiences – that will be a certainty. I hope you enjoy!!

(Please note that what I write is indeed my own personal opinions and stories).

Best Wishes,

Tim Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment